the thought of food makes me feel sick

star18

well i've never been a morning person, but lately i have been finding it increasingly difficult to get motivated and out of bed in the morning. i have a job that i love, and work with some amazing people so it's not the thought of work thats the problem.

i know breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should not be skipped, but i just can't bring myself to eat. if i make myself breakfast be it, toast, cereal or a piece of fruit, just looking at it makes me begin to urge to be sick. about the most i can manage is a small glass of juice.

i work 6 or 7 hours a day so usually get half hour lunchbreak, but i have a phobea of eating infront of anyone who's not my close family (this is because i have always been bullied for being a little chubby, and so have got it into my head that if people see me eat,they will think its all i do) so i usually just grab a glass of water and sit and read a book...or watch my colleagues eat!

so most days i don't eat something until 5pm, at the earliest. even then, having food infront of me makes me feel sick, and i can only manage to eat half of it. i can never eat desert either.

this morning however, i didn't have to start work until lunchtime and so had breakfast at about 9ish. then i started to feel really ill, with stomach cramps and then i was sick. (my mum thinks i suffer from IBS because i keep getting bad stomachs and am in incredible discomfort- almost to the point of blacking out with the pain.) and at work i kept getting feeling as if i was about to be sick, aswell as 'sweating' whilst doing nothing!

i'm also tired alot of the time, most days when i get home from work,i fall asleep on the sofa for about 1hr. however although i'm tired, i can't bear to sit still for too long as i get restless...sounds odd i know

Well, it is not surprising you are tired when you get home if you are not eating all day.

I think it is time you go see a doctor. Not only about your phobia of eating, but also about why you are responding that way to food. I think a lot of this may be psychological based on your "relationship" with food where you see it as a bad thing...and maybe if you do have pain when you eat it is not surprising you feel sick at idea.

I suggest going to get things ruled out like IBS, Crohn's, Colitis........if you are having pain when you eat you may have allergies or something like Crohn's, but there are ways to live with it and be healthy (I have three friends with Crohn's, one with Crohn's & Colitis). It is not healthy to not eat...

This will sound counter-intuitive, but for a week, try eating breakfast in the morning. I often have nausea and it only goes away when I eat something, even though it's the last thing that I want to do. Even if you can just get down a few bites of toast, it might help with the nausea. I also really sympathize with feeling self-conscious about eating in front of others, but you know that this isn't healthy behavior - physically or mentally. If you can't eat with your coworkers, is it possible to take your break elsewhere, or go outside, or something so that you'll actually get some food during the day?

This will sound counter-intuitive, but for a week, try eating breakfast in the morning. I often have nausea and it only goes away when I eat something, even though it's the last thing that I want to do. Even if you can just get down a few bites of toast, it might help with the nausea. I also really sympathize with feeling self-conscious about eating in front of others, but you know that this isn't healthy behavior - physically or mentally. If you can't eat with your coworkers, is it possible to take your break elsewhere, or go outside, or something so that you'll actually get some food during the day?

Yes, I am that way too. I get nauseous when my stomach is empty.

It's hard to tell if yours is physiological or psychological. You mention being tired but not letting yourself rest. Are you afraid of gaining weight if you do?

It sounds like you need a medical checkup and could do well by getting some counseling too. The way you're going doesn't sound healthy at all.

Hello, I never used to eat breakfast and no lunch when I was at school (same problem as being embarrised to eat infront of people) and I suffered with IBS type symptoms such as crippleing stomach pains and constant rumbleing tummy!

All the advice I can offer is do your best to eat somthing in the mornings try making a fruit smoothie or somthing with a bit of substance. And really start eating at lunch even everyones sat eating I expect they get embarrised having you sit there watching them! Hehe, it will helpyou health wise and you wont feel so sleepy.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

For nearly six years I have felt sick when food is placed in front of me. This, especially when I'm with people I don't know, or I am in a restaurant. Worse still, I feel very sick and spend a sleepless night just at the thought of having to have lunch with colleagues the next day. I prefer to take in my lunch and eat by myself. In my case, I can eat in the mornings, so I do not feel tired.

Have you managed to find a solution? How are you now?

Well... are u guys underweight now???

I mean.. it could be an eating disorder. Or the onset of one.. Anorexia nervosa is commonly precursed by bullying for the 'chubby phase' in primary school...

Im not asking if you look in the mirror and think you are fat, i'm asking weight wise, Body Mass Index, etc, how your actual weight fits in?

g/f

Archived