Signs That You Must Get Your Tonsils Removed?

I've recently posted about my scare with strep throat. I'm sure I had it, I had all the signs, but before letting the strep really set in and cause me pain I started taking medicine.

My boyfriends mom is an herbalist and she gave me some awesome medicine that will clear strep throat quickly. I've been taking it and within two days I was feeling better. Yesterday was my first good day that I had felt really well. I drove to see my mother and did some shopping, got a bite to eat. Well I've been on solids (food we're talking) basically through my whole sickness. At the beginning I was eating broths, and soups, but as soon as my appetite came back and my throat didn't hurt, I ate solids.

Yesterday I had a cheeseburger from burger king, half way through it felt like something was caught on my tonsil. It was burning real bad and to swallow it also had pain. I figured well it's probably a combination of "Mayo, ketchup, pickle, onion, lettuce, and beef." It quit hurting after a few minutes and I continued to shop.

After getting home really late we had dinner and my mom laid out Sloppy Jo's for us to eat. I started with mine and all that I added was mustard. First couple of bites were easy, no pain. Two minutes later and I get the same pain as when I ate my burger. The thing is, it's only my left tonsil, and it's only the tonsil. It's not my throat, it's just the tonsil itself that gets a burning feeling, and almost like there is something behind it. I drank my water and this pain soon on went away. I don't know if this is just my tonsil, or I'm still getting over strep?

I'm scared to death and I don't want my tonsils taken out, so my question is:

1. How do you know when you must get your tonsils taken out?

2. Is it avoidable once whatever happens that clarifies your tonsils need to be removed?

You could just have a cut in your tonsil that's causing the pain. Tonsilitis can appear to be like strep throat. You have a sore throat, coughing, difficulty swallowing, sometimes fever and white lumps on your tonsils. If you still have a severe sore throat I would go to a doctor. Often times, tonsilitis doesn't require the removal of tonsils. Instead, depending on the type of tonsilitis, they give you antibacterial medication, or if viral, the virus could depart within a week or two. Only if the bacterial spreads or the virus doesn't depart does it require the removal of your tonsils. Either way, I would go to a doctor if you really want to know.

Did you ever get antibiotics?

I think you should do that as it seems the herbal medicine wasn't enough for you this time.

She gave me herbal fishbiotics, which is amoxicillian, and I've been taking self made capsules of oregano oil. Both burns the bacteria and gets rid of it. Seems to be working my fever is gone, and my throat doesn't hurt anymore, I feel great. It's just every now and then I get a terrible feeling in my left tonsil.

She gave me herbal fishbiotics, which is amoxicillian, and I've been taking self made capsules of oregano oil. Both burns the bacteria and gets rid of it. Seems to be working my fever is gone, and my throat doesn't hurt anymore, I feel great. It's just every now and then I get a terrible feeling in my left tonsil.

Did you get tested for strep throat and confirmed that that was for sure what it was?

The reason I suggest a doctor is because antibiotics need to be taken completely. So, you need to take the complete correct dosage. Typically that's 10 days worth of medicine. Or else it has the possibility of coming back resistant.

I had mine out at a very young age due to chronic strep throat.

If this is something that keeps re-occurring for you, you should probably see a traditional medical doctor and discuss having them removed.

The surgery is MUCH better now than it was when I had mine out as a child. They use more advanced methods, like laser, which speeds up the recovery and healing considerably. Most people feel back to themselves within a few days.

You could just have a cut in your tonsil that's causing the pain. Tonsilitis can appear to be like strep throat. You have a sore throat, coughing, difficulty swallowing, sometimes fever and white lumps on your tonsils. If you still have a severe sore throat I would go to a doctor. Often times, tonsilitis doesn't require the removal of tonsils. Instead, depending on the type of tonsilitis, they give you antibacterial medication, or if viral, the virus could depart within a week or two. Only if the bacterial spreads or the virus doesn't depart does it require the removal of your tonsils. Either way, I would go to a doctor if you really want to know.

I will go to the doctor when necessary, right now I'm going through school and currently do not have a job. I lost my medical insurance years ago when I hit the adult standard rate that I must carry my own medical insurance. I'm really in a pickle when it comes to health insurance plans. First, I can't sign myself up for medicaid, or a sliding graph program, because I don't have a job and the income is based on the owner of the house. My dad makes too much money for me to qualify those, but he makes just barely past the limit. We can't afford 600 dollars a month for my personal medical insurance. Lately I've been having to go to the emergency room whenever something falls out of place on me. I recently got over a sickness two weeks ago that left me with a $5,500 medical bill.

So right now my boyfriends mom is going her route and helping me out. All seems to be working so far, except this left tonsil. I guess I don't know "for sure" if I had strep I never got a swab, but I get strep once a year and it seemed like strep to me.

Through my sickness which was only four days I never seen and white lumps on my tonsils, or any redness, or bumps, or anything like that. But I didn't let it get bad enough like it normally does so none of those signs showed up.

I know I'll have to go to the doctor to really know, I was just wondering what the signs are for getting your tonsils removed. If it gets bad I'll go to the emergency room. Thanks for the advice.

Did you get tested for strep throat and confirmed that that was for sure what it was?

The reason I suggest a doctor is because antibiotics need to be taken completely. So, you need to take the complete correct dosage. Typically that's 10 days worth of medicine. Or else it has the possibility of coming back resistant.

That's what I'm taking right now, the medicine I have is suppose to be taken three times a day. I take twelve pills a day which is two fishbiotic, and two oregano oils three times a day. And I take them for ten days to prevent rheumatic fever.

My boyfriends mom did this method to each of her six children, her daughters all seemed to get it really bad. It's worked for each of them, but I've only been taking the medicine two days now. I would go to the doctor but it's so expensive, but if I absolutely must, I will definitely go.

If I were you, Id be going to the dr to get a culture done on your tonsil. If you are taking antibiotics unnecessarily, you are only doing more harm then good to yourself.

I had the same problem as you before. White spots on my left tonsil, painful to swallow. Felt like something was stuck etc. It wasnt strep throat. It was just tonsilitis, which is a virus and cannot be treated with antibiotics.

Gargle with salt water and take advil or tylenol for the pain.

Stop with the antibiotics......they arent good for you unless there is a bacteria present.

Okay, just making sure. No offense to your boyfriend's mother. I do not know much about the practice of herbology and often times 'natural cures' make me a skeptic.

My sister has swollen tonsils quite often. However, she has never had them out. They are really your choice to get out unless they are becoming hazardous to your health. I know the surgery isn't that bad though.

I had mine out at a very young age due to chronic strep throat.

If this is something that keeps re-occurring for you, you should probably see a traditional medical doctor and discuss having them removed.

The surgery is MUCH better now than it was when I had mine out as a child. They use more advanced methods, like laser, which speeds up the recovery and healing considerably. Most people feel back to themselves within a few days.

I mean this in absolutely no offense, I don't even know if it's true or not. From my experience everyone that I ever met or ran into, or known has all had weight issues after having their tonsils taken out. My girl cousin has two sisters and they were all really little, and skinny. One of them had to have their tonsils removed and she blew up like a balloon, she became really large. Same with my boy cousin he had a sister and they both were really tiny people. Unfortunately he had to get his tonsils taken out and he really packed on the pounds. A few of my aunts and uncles from both sides of the family have gained weight from getting their tonsils removed.

I already have weight issues myself that I'm trying to cut down, I think I would die if I gained an extra pant size.

Okay, just making sure. No offense to your boyfriend's mother. I do not know much about the practice of herbology and often times 'natural cures' make me a skeptic.

My sister has swollen tonsils quite often. However, she has never had them out. They are really your choice to get out unless they are becoming hazardous to your health. I know the surgery isn't that bad though.

No offense taken I was skeptical too but right now it's all I can afford until the pain is so persistent that I can't bare. It sucks, but I'm already in spiraling debt, and I'm not even in my own house hold yet.

I had tonsilitis a LOT as a child/teenager..I mean, I would get it at least once a month and I also had sleep apnea due to my enlarged tonsils. Due to health insurance reasons I wasn't able to get my tonsils out until I was 18, the first day post surgery I was okay..the next few days though were pretty rough..I was vomiting due to taking my pain medication without food because I couldn't eat anything really. All in all it wasn't a HORRIBLE experience and it was well worth it..I rarely have any issues with my throat and my seasonal allergies even calmed down after my tonsil removal.

From my experience everyone that I ever met or ran into, or known has all had weight issues after having their tonsils taken out.

If you keep having these flare ups and they turn out to be tonsillitis, I would think it's better to have them out and then be prepared for a little weight gain and watch your diet afterwards, than to avoid the surgery just to avoid a few extra pounds - which you might not even gain since the main studies that came up when I did a look around seem to say it's children that are affected by this weight gain, far less so than adults. So you'd probably be fine

Like others have said: if this doesn't clear up soon then you should go and see a doctor. It's not good to take medicines, even herbal ones, without a clear diagnosis - if you're wrong, you could do yourself more damage than good. It's not a good idea to take antibiotics too often for example because you can build a resistance to them, requiring stronger doses every time you get an infection. Better to find out what's going for definite than taking that chance.

No offense taken. I have never heard of that. It didn't happen to me.

Were they eating tubs of ice cream, or other soft foods that are very rich and fattening once they had them out?

Not sure, maybe it just runs in the family

This was a topic my mom, my boyfriend, and I all had last night over dinner. I did mention that I was worried about having to remove my tonsils and we brought up the weight issue factor. My mom mentioned all her friends who had them removed also gained a lot of weight. Maybe you were a lucky draw. I'm sure not everyone does, but I'm a little worried since all of my family has lol.

If you keep having these flare ups and they turn out to be tonsillitis, I would think it's better to have them out and then be prepared for a little weight gain and watch your diet afterwards, than to avoid the surgery just to avoid a few extra pounds - which you might not even gain since the main studies that came up when I did a look around seem to say it's children that are affected by this weight gain, far less so than adults. So you'd probably be fine

This could be the reasoning of the weight gain, all of everyone I know has had them out as children. It's a little scary now just because I don't have what it takes to lose the weight. It sounds really, really silly, but I've tried. Lately I've been eating healthy, got a diet planned out. Been following it, I even cut soda and started my water diet with minimal milk. I do 40 minutes a day on a tread mill, and in between that I use a trampoline for at least 15 minutes. I recently went clothes shopping and I can barely fit into the size I am. I have never been big, but the last few years I blew up. I'm short so that doesn't do me any justice what so ever, and though I'm doing everything right I'm still going up and up. I've been stuck at a size 9 for the last year, and some reason I can hardly do 9's.

I'm going to be a pot belly pig before I know it, lol.

I still have mine and I am 43. My son had frequent throat and ear infections until he was 10 years old but they seem to have eased off now. My brother had tonsillitis every 6 weeks for over a year and the dr refused to remove them, my brother was 17 at the time. We all still have our tonsils and grew out of the issue. I have strep throat 3 or 4 times a year but they will not take them out and they do not give antibiotics because they said I am a carrier and it wont help. I thik it is really up to the dr and they do not like to do it because the tonsils are part of the immune system.

Don't try to diagnose yourself. If you do have strep throat, it can be extremely dangerous if the infection spreads from your tonsils and gets into your heart valves. It can do permanent damage to your heart, such that you could have heart failure and need a transplant. This doesn't happen most of the time, but that is why doctors take strep throat really seriously, because of that possible complication.

So if you have strep, you MUST be on antibiotics and not just herbal remedies due to this risk. Having strep throat doesn't mean they take your tonsils out, it means they give you antibiotics.

One usually only has tonsils out when they are repeatedly reinfected, and you have constant throat infections, sinus problems etc. With today's modern antibiotics, they can usually rid of you infections before it gets to that point.

But don't mess around with this. If it is strep, you are endangering yourself, and it is quite contagious for other people as well. You need antibiotics.

>>'From my experience everyone that I ever met or ran into, or known has all had weight issues after having their tonsils taken out.'

Please don't spread such misinformation... there is no correlation between tonsils and weight gain.

I can see where if someone had constant sore throats that made it difficult to eat, one might gain a few pounds from excitedly being able to eat again and take advantage of it, but that is about self control (or lack thereof) and nothing to do with the tonsillectomy itself.

If all your family gains weight, that has to do with learned overeating and/or lack of exercise. People always look for a reason to explain a weight gain, but the tonsils have no role in regulating body weight.

Archived