Advantages/Disadvantages to being an Introvert/Extrovert

friendsoulmate

I have always had trouble making friends, because I am more selective of who I want to be friends with and and I am sometimes introverted. I am more introverted and guarded in public situations with people whom I don't know and I am less introverted and feel more comfortable being open and talkative around family I know and trust. I believe there are advantages and disadvantages to being introverted or extroverted. Right now, I feel stuck with the problem of the disadvantage of being an introvert. It is sad and depressing wondering if I will be alone the rest of my life, without finding a good match of the opposite sex for me, which is what I don't want. I sometimes want the advantages of being more extroverted, but I think if I tried it, it would be very awkward and fake, like I'm trying to put-on an act, and be an actor, because that is not my true, natural self.

Introversion

Advantage: More guarded in public situations to protect feelings/emotions and it prevents making friends with whom you do not want to associate with in the future, because if these undesirable types tried to tag-along to become your friend, then you would have a hard time getting rid of them.

Disadvantage: Greatly limits the amount of friends you will have. You could have few, if no friends. The introvert is stuck with the problem of not opening-up to a potential match, because the match in the introvert's mind, has not been "screened" first to find out what their intentions are, so the introvert is not stuck with an attractive, seductive scammer, such as a catwoman, for example.

Extroversion

Advantage: These people tend to broadcast themselves like a salesman or a politician. They are not shy about starting many introductions with different people in a public situation. The many new different friends you will make is unlimited. Your hand-held electronic device can help organize and keep track of the status of these friends.

Disadvantage: These relationships can usually be shallow, because there isn't enough time to devote to a deeper friendship with all of these friends. Maybe some will be your best friends and others, casual aquaintances. The extrovert must master a good plan for politely and completely breaking-up any undesirable friendships, or else this popular extrovert could have a tag-along/old friend problem.

Both personality types have their own advantages and disadvantages, IMO that gives balance to both type of persons... No matter what type of person you are, as you've said your an introvert and I would like to say that Im also an introvert, we need to know how to utilize the full potential of being an introvert by using it's advantage and overcoming the disadvantages if needs arises...

To do that, you must first know who you truly are, introvert and extrovert are just created to generalize the people but each person is unique, you are the only one who who knows who you are... Just be yourself all the time, theres nothing wrong with that no matter how sad/bad things are, it's just that it's not your era at that time... The worst thing is pretending to be someone and whatever happens, good or bad, in the end it is still not you...

I understand where you're coming from. I am a strange combination of both--I am extroverted in social situations, but I come away from them drained and dissatisfied. I relate to what you said about being selective and I can never decide if that is a good or bad thing. I have many friends, but only two or three of them return the support and loyalty that I give to them.

The advice I'll give you is the advice I'm trying to take myself. Find a smaller social situation that suits your comfort level but also allows for new friends/relationship opportunities. I am a university student and I know that there are plenty of clubs/events out there that are small simply because only a few people care enough to bother...if it is something I care about, then I know that there's a good chance I'll enjoy the company of those people. I've always talked myself out of them because I think of them as large, draining social activities...but they usually are not, so I have to let go of that excuse.

Also, I don't know how comfortable you are with this, but you clearly know that the internet is a good option! A dear friend of mine has an active social and work life, but still chose to put an ad online to improve her romantic life. She's now been dating a guy she met that way for a few weeks. It's not something I would do, only because I don't know how to date, haha! I can only make friendships that turn into relationships.

Archived