my boyfriend won't call me anymore because he's depressed

jooj

Me and my boyfriend have been together for 7 months now. It's a very complicated story but we truly love each other. My boyfriend works in Iraq so I only get to see him every 4 months. My problem is that my boyfriend has really been depressed for 1 month now so he doesn't call me anymore. In the beginning I thought the reason for him to stop calling me was because he lost interest in me and no longer loved but then he told me that he still truly loved me but he is really depressed and suffering which is why he doesn't call. He says that when he gets depressed he withdraws. I tried to get him to talk to me and give me more attention but that made him upset because he just can't be there for me right now because he has a very stressful job and is very depressed. It's not the first time for him to get depressed like this. Around the same time last year (before we were together) he got severely depressed and tried to kill himself by overdosing on oxycodone but his friend found him and took him to the hospital and saved him. He says that this time of a year which is the time of all the holidays makes him very depressed because he's far away and can't celebrate with his loved ones.

The last time I talked to him was 2 weeks ago and he got upset at me for calling him because he wants to be left alone while he's depressed. He asked me not to call him again and to just wait for him to call me when he feels better. He just sends an email every couple of days asking me how I'm doing and telling me that he misses me. It really hurts me to know that he is suffering and it also hurts that he's not there for me when I need to talk to him. I've been going through a stressful time myself and the fact that he doesn't call me just makes things worse. I thought about breaking up with him because he's not calling me and no longer giving me attention but I couldn't do it because I love him from all my heart and he's a good and nice man.

What should I do to help with his depression? and how can I help myself with the loneliness and emptiness I'm feeling because he no longer calls me? Is it normal for a man to withdraw from his girlfriend and not want to spend time with her or talk to her when he's very depressed?

Actually, yes, it is very normal indeed.

If you put yourself in a mans shoes for a second, we tend to be just as sensitive if not more so than women at times. I mean both species are human of course, but growing up, women are taught to care and share alike, expressing feelings and emotions with one another and showing support by extending that line of emotional communication. Men however are taught not to cry, to be strong, to be tough, and to deal with things our own way...."MAN UP" so to say. As a result, the truth is we never really learn to deal with our emotions well. When we feel threatened, we react with anger or rage, and when we feel vulnerable we tend to isolate ourselves from whatever it is that comes off as a perceived weakness. In many cases, the people we love most become the things we distance ourselves from because they are what is causing us the most pain.

I can guarantee when your boyfriend thinks about home, he thinks of where his heart is. What that means is that you and his family probably don't receive many phonecalls during his most trying and difficult times and as time goes on, his wall builds specifically to keep out any thoughts that he perceives as weakness.

Unfortunately, no matter what you do, this is still going to be a real issue for him and will ultimately be something he has to overcome on his own. The best advice I could give you however is to write him every chance you get. Everyday, two three times a week at least. Give him something tangible to hold on to so he doesn't have time to build those walls around his heart or isolate himself from everything he loves. The more tangible evidence he has of your love, the harder it is for him to deny it's existence. What that will do is give him something to fight for, as opposed to allowing him to fall into a depression and deciding to give up on life, or what he loves. It's difficult, but not impossible.

If he gets depressed to the point of being suicidal and has attempted it in the past, i think you need to err on the side of caution here... If he is in the military, perhaps he should not be deployed to a war zone because of the mental stress. And if he is in civilian job there, he needs to return home and quit working in an environment that might worsen his depression.

I would ask him if he is suicidal, and if you have any indication that he is, you need to do some form of intervention whether that is informing his commander or his family and trying to get him to come home and get treatment for it. Your BF/GF issues of him not calling you are way down the line in importance when it comes to saving his life. If it is a minor depression he will snap out of it eventually, but if he has been suicidal in the past, he might need medical intervention before it gets worse, and that is your first concern here, getting him the help to save his life.

my boyfriend goes through this every year in the autumn, he has a very troubled past and when the days get shorter he gets depressed, and i know it's nothing to do with me or his feelings for me, we are together for 5 years, and every time the depression passes he is back, more lovingly than ever, and this is because i accept him for who he is, in this period he already feels so guilty for not giving me what i need and he feels relatiotionships should be 50/50 and it hurts him that during that time he can't give anything.

all of his energy goes only into work and making sure that nobody there notices because he needs a contract and is afraid of not getting it when they know, besides this he has no energy, no lust for life, no energy to do anything fun and he withdraws, he is no longer suicidal which at first he was, but with my love and support he now recognizes it as a disease and knows after a few weeks he will be better again, and he has sought professional help as well to deal with his past...

so i'm hopeful for the future, and it is hard, very hard to see him withdraw and he is so hard to talk to when he is like that, short answers,no jokes, but by understanding him and reading a lot about depression and during those weeks focussing on myself, it gets better

he doesn't do it to hurt me so i try not to feel hurt, i let him know i am there if he needs me, i send him sweet messages, cards and little cute presents, to help him through it and it seems to work for him, he is out of the depression again but i know next autumn it will happen again...

and i am the first in his life not to leac=ve him over this and just stand by him no matter what so this has deepened our bond a lot and i know he appreciates how i deal with this very much..

so try not to take it personal and try to be understanding, be his lifeline, let him see that you are there if he needs you but don't force him to talk or open up, my experience is they open up in their own time, took my boyfriend a long time because he has trust issues but he did open up and talk to me about what he is going through and now when he is depressed he does explain as best as he can how he feels and what is going through his mind..

but it is very hard, i know!!

Lavenderdove: He is no longer suicidal infact he's doing all he can to live so that he can be with me. He even told the company he works for in Iraq that he just wants to do office work and he no longer wants to go to the dangerous places. When he was suicidal last year he was single and he felt like he had no one to live for. He regrets what he did and he always thanks God for the second chance he got. The major stress in his life is his job. It's a very stressful job and he feels very lonely there. He's planning on leaving Iraq for good by the end of 2011 when his contract ends.

sara-pezzini: Thanks a lot for this post. It is indeed very hard to see him withdraw and ignore me because I love him very much. I guess the best thing I can do now is to give him the space he needs and let him know that I love him unconditionally.

yes that is best!

i know in my boyfriend's case it meant so much to him to see that i love him no matter what and i don't walk away when things get tough, i accept him and understand him or at least try to...he's never had this before in his life so it took some getting used to at first but now he is happier for it...at first he warned me that it was better to not get involved with him because once i truly would get to know him, i wouldn't want him anymore, but now he sees that i still want and love him and can give him the space he needs without letting it upset me too much and it has given him peace of mind and he has made some huge changes...

it is very difficult to have to stand by when someone you love is going through something and all you want to do is make it better, but you can't

and it's especially hard when it happens every year, but if you really love him you will figure it out and will learn to accept it and handle it better, and by showing him that you love and accept him as he is, you will help him more than by getting upset if he doesn't call, because that will cause him to feel guilty and feel even worse...

if you want to, you can always pm me if you need someone to talk to...i know how you feel!

• 5 months later...

Hi. My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year now (our anniversary is next month). Although we had a great first few months, it turned sour around the holidays. At first I thought he was able to cope, but as the holidays came...he became distant. We went out less and spoke less on the phone. This was the first year he spent the holidays without his mom. His father died when he was 15 and his sisters live out of state, so he felt alone. You would think he wanted to spend the holidays with me since he has nobody, but instead he locked himself in his house during the holidays.

Things got worst this January, when he found out he will need a major heart surgery (he's only in his early 30s). Because of this, he got sick physically and mentally and ultimately had to shut down his business.

Just three weeks ago, his cousin and best friend died unexpectedly, not to mention this is the one year anniversary of his mom's death. He called me up, said he loved me and wish he could be with me...but he is depressed. At first he said he would call when he's ready, but now he said he never wants to hear or see me again.He said he doesn't want to see anyone including his friends, and I should just move on.

I text him once a week and call, but I never hear back.

I don't know what to do? Advice pleasee... and ladies, how are things with your boyfriends????

• 9 months later...

sara-pezzini,

I am in the same exact situation with my boyfriend of almost 7 years...It was great when we were together in SoCal-- and this is where we met. Unfortunately, he had to move back to Louisiana because of a family issue, and this was more than 2 years ago that he left. I hate being in a long distance relationship with a man that I dearly love who is deep in depression. We've had our ups and downs like any other couple but the last two weeks have been the toughest. He has likewise withdrawn from society and has stopped calling me too, leaving me frustrated and feeling lonely. We used to talk once a day at least but now the calls are gone...I would send him an email, but he wouldn't get back to me after more than a week or so. I've called of course but he just wouldn't pick up the phone at all. I have thought and almost convinced myself that perhaps his feelings have changed and doesn't love me anymore. But when if he calls or emails me, he would re assure me that he still loves me so much and nothing has changed. He'd tell me that he is depressed and that something in his life should change, but knowing him, I doubt that he's doing anything about it. It pains me to know that he's depressed (again) and the truth that there is nothing I can do about it. I realize now that only he has the power to make a change and that I should just step back for now and let him be. I have minor depression myself but I am working on it by going to a therapist once a week. I can only hope for the best for now I guess...

I wish all of you who are are going through the same ordeal the best.

"this too shall pass..."

• 6 months later...

My boyfriend of 2/3 years has completely shut down on me. This is the third summer this has happened accept this time it seems worse. The first year, 2010 we had only been together a few months and when June arrived he became depressed and withdrew. He explained to me by e mail how he gets like this and after a couple of months he was ok again. We starting seeing each other again in September and apart from the odd few days here and there, and Christmas where he shut himself away, we were ok. Then May 2011 he starting to withdraw again and I didn't see him for weeks and weeks. He still contacted me here and there by e mail but that was it. In the August we passed each other in our cars, he text me to say hello and that he had pulled the car over to talk but I had disappeared. We starting texting each other daily, he was his old self, we had lots of banter like we used to. So we agreed to meet up in October. He asked me to stay at his place for the weekend. We met up and it was wonderful. He told me how much he loved me and missed me and how he now realised just how much I meant to him. He mentioned that I was always there for him. In fact we talked for the first time in depth about his issues. He apologised and said that all that was behind him now and that he was going no where. So we have had a lovely year, lots of loving and caring. He tells me how much I mean to him and I believe him. He was working hard in his career to build a future for us. And it was us, not just him he said, for us. We planned holidays, where we might like to live, everything, we just wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. Grow old together he said. We are no spring chickens; we are both in our early 50's.

So July came this year and I felt him becoming a bit odd again, going off for a couple of days here and there but when he did get in touch he apologised if it seemed like he was pushing me away, it was just his work. He was very aware of when he was leaving me out. He booked us a short holiday beginning of August with my 2 teenage kids. The week before we went I never heard from him at all and I thought, here we go, I'll be going alone. He rang me the day before we were due to go and he was ok. He told me that he had been depressed that week and that he had managed to snap himself out of it. Well the holiday was a disaster. From day one he kept losing his temper with my kids, not something he has ever done before. He kept threatening to go home. It’s like he was panicking to get away using any little thing as an excuse. I and he never argued once but he really had it in for my kids. Eventually he lost his temper with them and was really nasty to them, shouting and swearing over not very much at all. We decided to go home a day early. He couldn't get packed quick enough. Me and him were still fine, we didn't fall out once over it. The journey home was ok, we were fine together. When we arrived home, we unpacked the car and he just grabbed his bags, said he couldn't be in the same house with my kids a minute longer and went home. He said he would ring me the next day but he never. That was 8 weeks ago. I rang him, text him and went to his house but he never replied to anything. He wouldn't open the door. He shut out his best friend too but as he has to work with him sometimes, he had to contact him once or twice. I send him an e mail or FB message once every few days or so to tell him that I understand and that I love him and I'm here for him when he's ready. I lost my mum 2 weeks ago, he has always supported me through it but he only managed to send me a text to say he was sorry and that he wasn't in a good place right now. He left flowers and a card at the crematorium.

This time seems worse to me. He does usually make some contact but when he does, the problem never gets mentioned he will almost change the subject. I really don't know how to cope with this at the moment. I want to, I am a strong person and he knows that. But I get mixed feelings. Does he really love me; did he just think he did? Does he want me to be here for him or would he rather i just go because he believes he is no good for me. He has had a very troubled past involving being hurt by and ex who took his child away from him and has made the last 15 years impossible for him to have contact. This seems to be the root of the depression. He told me that he has been hurt 3 or 4 times in the past, most likely because the women couldn't take this behaviour. He is struggling with earning a living at the moment because of health issues but he really works hard to build his career. I want to be here for him. I love him very much and when things are ok its wonderful.

Do you think he believes I am going to stick by him? I will, for as long as it takes but how can I prove that to him if he won't talk to me or see me? Is he trying to forget me? He has not once said that he wants to end anything so I am trying to take that as a positive. It’s almost like he has just forgotten everything, we had so much fun together and I know he was really happy with me. Maybe he thought that being with me had put an end to his depression and when he realized it hadn’t he withdrew into it again?

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated.

Hello everybody, this thread has really struck a cord with me as i am going through the same thing and share the same concerns as the ones that have been raised.

A month ago i sent him a long email letting him know that i am there for him as a friend (i don't want to put the pressure of the relationship on him right now). He responded thanking me for my previous emails (he had not responded to my first 2) and told me that he was not was "....not on a communication tip right now but please don't take that as anything to do with you. Thanks for being a friend x"

I have no idea if he is okay. I don't know if space is what he needs right now. This is truly heartbreaking. I have only recently been informed how truly severe his depression is. I have been informed that he is in a dark place right now. I wsish i could save him.

Reading this thread has been very touching.

• 1 month later...

hi all,

I've had this thread bookmarked for a little while now, and I come to it regularly to read, especially when I'm feeling down about my situation. I am (I think) going through the same thing as many others here... I have (had? present or past tense?) a new love interest with whom emotions developed very quickly and intensely. A few months into our friendship-turned-romance, he disappeared. He talked once about the fact that he had gone through a depression before, but I'm not really sure if I fully understood... It was a late night phone call, I may have cast it off as being something mild, or something in the past... also, about a week before he cut off communication, he was writing me short emails that described how he didn't feel himself... that he was losing interest in the things that made him happy, and that he was thinking about seeing a doctor about it. He also said that he wasn't forgetting about me....

and that's the last I've heard from him in a month. Considering we used to see each other/communicate in some way almost every single day... this is very uncharacteristic.

I guess my main frustration lies in the fact that I'm just not sure what's happening, and I'm not sure what to do. My mind is like, "is he really depressed and shutting me out because of that? or is he using it as an excuse to cut me off because he is cowardly and avoidant, and just doesn't want to tell me he isn't interested any more?" How can I possibly know what to do or how to act, unless I know what's going on in his mind... if he just doesn't like me any more, I could take it. At least then I could fully grieve, and I would be given an opportunity for closure.

I've never felt this way about anyone before. I feel like I had so much love and hope in the life that I could possibly have led with this guy, and it's being ripped from me. It's a long story and I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to tell it. But I'm in a really hopeless, negative space right now because I am completely in love with him, and I don't want to give up hope. But maybe I'm stupid for hanging onto the thought that MAYBE he actually still loves me too, and that MAYBE he will return to his normal self again. I don't want anyone else. But I also don't want to be trapped in a situation that's unrequited and I'm sitting there hanging on and hanging on for eternity.

I've really never been this heartbroken before. With him I used to feel so cherished and valued... and now I feel so discounted and shut out, it's killing me every single day. My friends don't really understand - they think that he has just decided to move on and he's being a jerk for not telling me. I've never been one to wait by the phone, or chase after any guy... never. I have always thought that if a guy really wants to communicate with a woman, he will find a way, come hell or high water. He has almost every one of my contact methods, and yet I haven't heard from him in a month or so. It's just not like him... not at all. I can't get over this. In my heart of hearts, I don't believe that he is a coward or that he is moving on, or that he thinks I'm stupid....

If he really is depressed and isolating himself, how can I help? How can I possibly help, without getting any kind of reciprocal communication, and feeling like a futile idiot to the point where I want to tear my heart out....

I'm almost laughing through the tears because I know how cliche all this sounds, and I know I sound like the kind of girl you just want to smack some sense into because she's such an airhead. I am definitely not that kind of woman. I am cautious, reserved, sensitive, observant, even snobby.... I am very particular about who I associate with and I've always prided myself on being an excellent judge of character. To let this guy into my heart is not a small feat...

Anyway, bottom line - I have no idea what to do or how to move on from this. And, although it's heartbreaking in and of itself, I am grateful that there are others here who are going through something similar. To know that I am not alone, makes me feel like I'm not going crazy.

Same thing here I'm afraid. Third time this has happened, 3 summers on the trot. It's been 3 months now and he just starting getting in touch with me 3 weeks ago. He has totally ignored every text, e mail question I have asked him about us. He won't reply to anything to do with us, only other stuff. We haven't spoken, just texts and e mails. I should be used to it now but I'm not. I feel the same frustration, sadness and anger as I did 3 years ago. It's almost like he turns into someone else and forgets us!!! If I mention something that is funny between us, a little something that we laughed at, he acts like he doesn't remember.

I have given him ample opportunities to end it all, but he won't, he just ignores it and then he'll text me about something else like his work or hospital appointment??

He has said "we'll talk" but when? telepathically?? I know he suffers with depression and I've always been there to support him but when it gets bad he shuts me out completely.

Just stumbled accross this post/site yesterday, believe it or not. I'm going through something similar.

BF and I have been talking for a year, he is going through a divorce. He has only "vanished" once before this, and that was only for a week, but both before and after the hiatus, he was extremely loving, just indicated that he was extremely overwhelmed with the change, the court situation, his children, etc. He bounced back, and I tentatively allowed myself to get comfortable again, assuming the worst was behind me. Until this last week...

He was surprised by some new legal changes in his pretty rancorous divorce process (all on her side, she's contesting), his parents were needing him, and a good job opportunity fell through...all of which I DIDN'T KNOW since two days had passed since we talked. So, I messaged him, told him I was having a bit of a rough day myself and wanted to talk...was being sweet, a little cute-pushy like "Come be with me!!! and he never replied although he was online. I unfortunately complained that it was hurting me that he was ignoring me and I missed how it used to me (stupid stupid stupid) and he just messaged me abruptly that he didn't get the job and "I'm shutting down" so I messaged him a bit more, trying to understand what happened...nothing. Now, he and i have fussed about two other times before this and only mildly, but whenever something awkward or hard or time passes, I always ask when the argument is over "Are we ok?" not in a needy way, but to make sure that everything has been talked about and nothing is simmering. It's worked well, and he has always replied, "Yes baby, I love you. We are ok." Or some variation. Not so this time. I literally asked him four different times. He got back to me after three days and said "I'm just figuring myself out." I asked him again if we were ok and he completely ignored me. The next day, I was more intentional. I told him this was bothering me and unusual for him, and if he needed to talk to me about something to please do so. He said he was "not alright with himself, let alone anyone else. I'm sorry." I was like confused. Was this a break up? Sounded like it but it way too cold and on text? After a year? So I said, "I understand. But I'm unsure what that means. Can you call me?" He said he couldn't because he had his kids with him. So I told him that I knew he was dealing with so much stuff and if he needed space that was perfectly ok and I understood, but that my heart is involved and I didn't want false hope. So he said, "I just need to step back and get myself together. I'm really struggling here. We are ok. I just can't handle much more than I have going on right now. I do love you." ............so a break up non break up? I don't know. I replied that I loved him and understood...I agreed. I just wasn't clear on if that means we're breaking up or just taking time. But I told him I support him and was here and was his.

I didn't know what the hell to say. I feel like such a nag for picking the absolute worse time to gripe at him about not talking to me. And now it's been a week since we've spoken on the phone and several days since he said those last words.

I haven't contacted him since. But I'm kinda lost here. The distance is already hard, but the silence is killing me. Thoughts? Is it normal for a man to do this? What can I do?

• 1 month later...

Wow. So many of you remind me of my situation. I hope it is going better for all of you. I don't even know what to call "him" right now. It's hard to say we are still together, but it's even harder to say we aren't. I guess we're taking a break? We talk very little and when we do it's through text. I have only heard from him once so far this year. Granted we are not long distance but it feels that way. Like many of you we started out great. I met him where I work, he would come in often because he works close by and he would always smile at me but only talked to me a couple of times. Well I was injured on the job last year in summer and was put on light duty at the door. Anyway, long story short we started talking and eventually dating. Our "I love yous" came pretty quickly. And for the first time I knew he meant it without him having to say it. We had started spending more time together then suddenly it was just dropped.

He is in his late 20s and has a 4 year old son who lives in another city. Supposedly his son came for a visit at random so we couldn't spend time together that weekend like we had been doing. After his son left after a few days he still hadn't made any plans with me. I was getting a little frustrated and confused. I thought it was me. Or maybe my roommate who started complaining about him coming over so often and staying the night.

Then he told me that his dad (who has cancer) was getting worse. He was admitted into the hospital. And that's what started us really not hanging out. He would still stop by my work to see me during or after. But he made no plans to hang out. I could tell his dad being ill was taking a toll on him. It made him stressed out since his dad made him power of attorney. I was trying to be understanding and supportive. It was hard since I hadn't even met any family members (still haven't).

His dad was able to go home after a while and they started taking weekend trips to all these different places. He would claim he had no service at any of these places so he couldn't call me. I figured he just wanted guy time and wasn't that bothered. I got used to it and started looking forward to the trips because that meant I wasn't staring at my phone every two seconds wondering when he would call or text. Finally the trips ended and he said we would be able to spend more time together. It just wasn't happening though. Every time I would mention it he would have nothing to say. And trying to get the real story out of him of how he is feeling is like trying to pull teeth. He is so stubborn! More stubborn than me and I am pretty stubborn.

Other things started dwindling down as well. No more night time calls. No more all day texts. I was happy to still get a morning text everyday. But I started to feel like I wasn't being understanding or appreciative of his situation. But I thought since he wasn't spending as much time with his dad he could go back to spending time with me. Instead he would sleep or do who knows what. Times changed for me and I had to move in with some family members. With that we talked even less even though I lived closer to him. All these promises to spend more time together were just never met. I would call him crying and he would say that it's not me it's him. That I shouldn't take it personal. And he would say all these different reasons for what was going on but it never sounded like the truth. I was going back and forth between breaking up with him and staying. I love him so much it was hard to think that way.

I started to suspect he was depressed but I never asked because I kept remembering a conversation we'd had before where he told me he didn't understand why people got depressed. He was always so positive when we first started talking. He's had a tough life and gone through so much already. Well, I did end up breaking up with him and getting back with him in the same day. I just couldn't stick to it. I called him the same night and we talked. We hadn't talked in a while like that and he told me so much about how he was feeling. I thought things would improve now that I knew how he felt. I could understand him more. But things just got worse. We still were hardly talking. He would still text me in the morning but hardly at all throughout the day. He would hardly ever answer my phone calls no matter what kind of message I would leave or how many times I would call.

Throughout this I would ask him if we should just take a break and he was always so against it. He said he would still feel the way he felt and plus if we weren't together he would be worried about how I was doing. I could laugh at that since he never asks how I am doing.

Soon after this I stopped seeing him at work. Well maybe it was a few weeks before that it started. I thought he was avoiding me. All in all, 2 months passed before I saw him again. I was wondering if he even considered us still together. No texts or any other communication. I was hurt and confused. I was worried about him. I only saw him because he showed up randomly outside my work one day. I imagine seeing him so much I wasn't sure it was him at first. He told me out right that he had been depressed and started drinking again. He said he had to go to the hospital for them to pump his stomach. I wasn't sure if any of it was true. In all honesty I felt like he just didn't have the guts to tell me he didn't want to be with me or something and was using depression as some excuse. I mean we wouldn't even talk because he didn't want to.

It's been over a month again since I saw him last. And like I said, he will only text back sometimes. I try to text every 3-4 days. I hardly ever call because he doesn't answer anyway. But when we do talk he always tells me he loves me, he'll sometimes say he misses me if I have said it. I just am so lost now. I pray for him a lot. I feel like it's all I can do. I wonder why he won't talk to me but every time I have mentioned that he says it's not me. He is not used to having someone care so much about him. He doesn't mean to push me away. It's not his intention to ignore me. This is a nightmare. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I don't cry as much as I used to about this (every day). But I do wake up every now and again just so sad and missing him. I don't know what to do to help or if me texting him is any good. He had claimed the seasons had something to do with his mood and that summer and winter were his best seasons. But winter is here, and he still won't talk to me.

I love him and my family and friends don't support me still talking to him. They think he is no good. They only see the pain I am in because of all of this. But they aren't in the situation and feel what I feel for him. I just want to see him well and happy again. I hope things get better for us.

Archived